Dandruff results from dead skin cells of the scalp coming to the surface while the skin of the scalp renews itself. It could sometimes be itchy and make scalp look dirty and unkept.
Dandruff can be caused by deficiency of zinc, fungus or high use of alkaline soaps and shampoos. It is infectious in nature and can be spread through combs, hair brushes or towels.
Here are some remedies which can be prepared at home and used to treat dandruff:
1. Mix beetroot juice and vinegar and massage into scalp to treat dandruff.
2. Soak a few peels of lemon in a small bowl of coconut oil. Keep this mixture for 8 to 10 days then strain. Apply oil on scalp.
3. Beat 2eggs and add 2tablespoons of water and mix. Wet hair and apply the mixture to hair and scalp. Leave for 10 to 15min then wash off with lukewarm water.
4. Applying the juice of onions on scalp is good in treating dandruff.
5. Mix olive oil and the juice of 1lemon and massage into scalp and leave overnight. Then shampoo and wash off in the morning.
6. Add some pieces of garlic to olive oil, mustard oil or almond oil and heat. Massage oil into scalp.
7. Massage aloe vera gel into hair and scalp before shampooing. This treats and keeps dandruff away.
8. Apply neem leaves to scalp. This is effective in treating dandruff, lice and other scalp diseases.
9. Make a mixture of henna and mashed beetroot and apply to hair and scalp. This prevents dandruff and hair fall.
10. Immerse 2 tablespoons of fenugreek leaves in water overnight. Drain out the water and mash the leaves to form a paste then add shikakai to it and apply to hair. Leave for 30mins then wash and shampoo.
11. Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil and ½ spoon of olive oil and apply to scalp. Tea tree oil has antifungal properties to fight dandruff.
12. Green gram with curd applied once a week is effective in curing dandruff.
13. Using apple cider vinegar mixed with water or fresh lemon juice as a final rinse after washing hair is very good for curing dandruff.